To Repair or Replace?
Oh NO! you’ve damaged the carpet somehow and you’re considering your options in relation to repairing or replacement.
Carpet is probably the cheapest floor covering when compared to tiles or floating floors etc but no one wants to replace it early for a small blemish. Many folks ask us here at PestX about repairing with a patch. Patching might cost $100 whilst replacing an entire room might be $700 – $800(ish).
Carpet can be successfully but its always obvious that it has been done – it’s definitely not invisible. See the attached photos showing 2 different areas of repair on the same carpet.
It boils down to:
1) Your budget and
2) if it’s your house or not (meaning you’re renting)
3) Are you happy with the look.
The repair will look better than the damage but it’s always visible to some extent. If you’re happy with that go for a repair as it will save you money, still allow you to get the full life out of your carpet and over time you won’t find it is super obvious as you’ll learn to ignore the patch.
If you’d like to discuss your options give us a call. Always happy to talk.
Did you know that mould and fungus is a pest. Obviously when things get wet and stay wet they get mouldy etc. If your house gets wet on the inside particularly after rain like we had in the last week then mould, mildew etc can be
1) rotting your timber
2) rotting your plasterboard
3) you’re breathing in mould spores
PestX can help you, clean and decontaminate carpet, stop spores from spreading through your house or business and it becoming unhygienic. If it’s not professionally treated you really can end up with a big deal. This is even more important if you are a landlord because you have to provide a healthy and habitable building for your tenants. PestX also have huge air movers for hire to dry out your walls and carpet which stops the smell and stops the mould etc. Give us a shout!
Did you know that modern pest control is heavily influenced by a flower? This is one of the things that makes our services at PestX safe for family business and pets.
The chrysanthemum or daisy contains a substance known as pyrethrum. The flower is crushed up to release the pyrethrum contained in the seed cases. Some of the first recorded uses of it as an insecticide are documented well over 2000 years ago and was traded extensively along the Silk Route. It has an extensive history in it’s role as a pesticide and a companion plant in gardens to deter pests. The powdered version is reported to have been used by soldiers to deter body lice around the early 1800’s. Currently Tasmania is recognised as a major global source of pyrethrum as is Nigeria.
Pyrethrum works by attacking the nervous system of insects, but it has a low toxicity to mammals and is also bio-degradable, which is what makes it safe to use around humans and pets and also makes it environmentally friendly.
The vast majority of treatments we use in pest control services are synthetic versions of pyrethrum. It works by attacking the nervous system of insects. In order for pyrethrum based pesticides to be toxic most of us would have to consume well over 800grams of the concentrated active ingredient. Considering that on the standard house we probably don’t even use more than 20 grams of the concentrated active ingredient there is zero chance of it being toxic to you or your pets even if you licked the entire surface of the outside of your house after we treat it for you! I don’t imagine any of you are up for that task!
There’s a bit of a myth out there that if your house is hard wood you can’t get termites. While it does depend on a few factors, hardwood is definitely susceptible to termite attack. This lot is is in your typical 1940’s “hardwood” frame Rockhampton house. You need regular checks for these nasties!
These guys have eaten out an internal wall, ceiling timbers and damaged about 6 structural stumps. The sooner they are intercepted, the less you have to fix and the more money you save.
Do you know how to tell the difference between an ant and a termite? This might give you some peace of mind.
If you pet has a tick or ticks you really do need to act. We all know that paralysis ticks can make your pet severely ill, but that’s not the only reason you need to act.
Female ticks are the ones that attach to your pet and have their fill. Left unattended they will feed for up to 7 days then drop off and lay up to 3000 eggs. Once those eggs hatch sooner or later they are looking for feed and then they lay up to 3000 eggs each.
You do the maths, but it doesn’t take a Nobel prize mathematician to work out that you have a population explosion on your hands that keeps going crazy.
If this happens to you, it’s not the end of the world, but professional treatment by PestX Pest Control is part of the solution.
What you need to do is immediately start removing ticks from your animal DAILY! In addition to this get us to spray your property. You also need to treat your animal and keep it up for a minimum of 6 weeks to break the hatching and breeding cycle. Once you have the situation under control you can go into maintenance mode and just keep up regular flea and tick treatments as recommended by your vet.
I have seen places with animals covered in hundreds of ticks with many hundreds more hiding all over the walls of the house and yard waiting for their turn to feed on your pet or maybe even you!
Best to keep things under control and regularly treat your animals for parasites. Our climate being hot and humid is perfect for ticks (and other parasites) to breed fast, so don’t take it for granted if you only see a couple, there could soon be thousands! If it does get out of hand then we are here to help and have excellent experience helping you get things back to normal.